Saturday, September 17, 2005

Eau de Immunity

It’s never occurred to me that dating someone seriously would make my life boring. I’ve never even thought about it before, all I knew and know is that if it feels right, then it is right, and that’s all there is to it. I’m a lot happier now; I love waking up in the morning and making coffee (We finally got a coffee machine, *grin- It’s uber cool too) before teasing him awake. His eyes will open and they will be such a brilliant shade of blue, they amaze me by how striking they can be.

I’m reading this whimsical piece of literature now called the Hedonism handbook, and I’m amazed at how subjected we are to the way we feel, physically. Our emotional states and our ability to feel emotion is all part of keeping us alive and part of making sure we die, eventually. While you’re alive, the cycle is the be-all and end-all, really, and everything you do has much to do with that. If you’re really in tuned with the way you feel, you can live life pretty well just by following your physical instincts.

There was a program on the BBC yesterday morning, and for once, after a long time of avoiding watching television with determination (because it mostly feels like a waste of time to me) I sat through a program that attempted to dissect human sexuality and sexual attraction. Surprisingly enough, there was one thing that I’ve always wondered about but never quite figured out why… and that was how the way some people smelled just turned you on and the way some did would totally put you off.

I’ve noticed this very distinctly with people I’ve slept with, and it’s finally explained to me why some guys like Richard or Martine are immensely attractive to me in bed (and the 69 is a great deal of fun) and some guys just don’t bring out anything in me… and some… I just don’t particularly want to fuck. It’s very, very distinct, and I’ve always known it had something to do with the way they smelled.

Apparently our immune systems determine the way we smell, or part of it anyway, and our subconscious is aware of that. In other words, we’re subconsciously aware of the type of immune systems we have and the compatibility of that with our mates. The more different their immune systems are from ours, the greater the attraction.

It’s strange, but there are all these bits about our physical states that we’re normally not aware of, but really matter. And it’s the reason why no one should attempt to withhold themselves physically from someone they plan to be with because making out and sex and all of that is terribly important in order to determine whether being with that person would be physically pleasing. And whether we like it or not, when we are hungry, we get pissed off; if we’re made to be with someone that doesn’t delight our senses, we’ll be fucked off. Naturally.

xoxox

No comments: