Monday, January 18, 2010

Fold your Ears and Make Love to a Tree.

We had a little 'Garden Warming' party at MGM's, on the account of Joris who had this crazy idea that happened to coincide nicely with the delivery of robust Frangipani trees to the Spirit Roof (christened thus until the owner complains that I give everyone and everything crap aliases on my blog :P ) It's the Spirit Roof because MGM said after the Frnagipani trees were delivered, that all it would take to complete the garden now was a Spirit House. A Thai one is what he has in mind for it, I think.

The Spirit Roof takes a bit of organization to get it fully functioning and one of the things needed was lamp oil. Joris and I attemped to get it at the Carrefour, because if there was somewhere that would have any random thing you might want on a weekend, Carrefour was the most likely place to stock it. Tom and I did manage to find a paddle pool on a hot Sunday morning while we were wondering what other nonsense we could get up to while nursing a mild hang-over. Unfortunately they didn't have the lamp oil (although they had an excess of paddle pools) so we had to look for substitutes.

Apparently olive oil is the best substitute for lamp oil, but it would clog up your lamps if not washed thoroughly after. Also there seems to be a trend with olive oil and MGM's place for all sorts of bizarre reasons that have nothing to do with the preparation of food.

When J and I turned up at MGM's flat, he was in a flurry making sure his new plants were being delivered properly to their final destination. Standing around were a few pissed off Bangladeshi workers cursing when they realized they had to lug the plants up two flights of narrow spiral staircases.

The party kicked off at a reasonable time (around 10) after the lamps were lit, the plants were nicely arranged, and a couple of other people had arrived. One of them was AJ and this crazy Japanese girl, Yuko. She was completely mental, all over the place and all over MGM and Joris (and if there had been any other men she found attractive that night would have been all over them too), and she gave a vibe that she was up for anything.

Bastiaan turned up after them and we greeted each other. That afternoon while hanging out at his place watching the Dutch equivalent of Little Britain , I had been staring at his ears with a strange fascination thinking "Man! Those are ears I'd like fold. Oh my god I am going to fold his ears... Must resist..." Anyway, while greeting him,  I folded his ears (since he's European and they all do that kissing thing, it was possible to get close enough to do this) They were very soft indeed and I announced this to every body. This caused a fair amount of confusion and henceforth every other guest that arrived had their ears folded. Mostly by Yuko.

MGM came back onto the roof and she greeted him in this manner and started to refer to the plants as conscious sexual beings. MGM and Joris were both assigned one as their girlfriend, and I was assigned one as my boyfriend. Later on I discovered that the trees actually represented the people at the party and it was a cover up from having to go straight out at the men. It was really weird. I.e. the guys were supposed to get it that when she said she wanted to get it on with the tree what she actually meant was something slightly different... At first I think everyone thought it was a joke, and I think she must have meant it to be a joke too, but the night wore on, and it got annoying when she asked me if I liked my 'boyfriend', referring to one of MGM's new Frangipani trees but actually meaning Joris (which was what I assumed because by this time I had forgotten all about her tree world) and then telling me that she meant the tree -_-"

No comments: