Friday, January 15, 2010

The Value of Nothing.

I ❤ Tom for many reasons, but one of them is cuz he's got some pretty awesome friends. Check Raj Patel out on the Stephen Colbert report flogging his new book "The Value of Nothing". For the uninitiated, it's THE Oscar Wilde quote (i.e. people who do not know Oscar Wilde know this quote: "The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing").

Cool... I'm 2 degrees of separation away from comic genius. "America is built on cheap prices! Why do you think all our public holiday falls during sales?" Watch the whole damn thing on The Colbert Nation with Raj Patel.

(Did I also mention that my ex's dad almost fucked Helen Mirren back in the day? You know, back in the day when it was acceptable for men to ask women "I want to buy you a drink, but will you sleep with me?" and not get slapped in the face)

He makes a big claim on the cover, "How to reshape market society and redefine democracy". Market society definitely needs to designed. Europe will lead the way, oh yes... the land of sexy men with sexy accents and liberal attitudes. Check out: Krugman on Learning from Europe. Look to Norway when in doubt! And I am not just talking about GDP. 


Now, on another day I will tell you how I met Tom's other friend...

No comments: