Monday, November 22, 2004

Status Anxiety



"There goes the Spicer Wilcoxes, Mama! I'm told theey're dying to know us. Hadn't we better call?"
"Certainly not dear. If they are dying to know us. they are not worth knowing. The only people worth knowing are they people who don't want to know us."

***

Belittling others is no pasttime for those convinced of their own standing. There is terror behind haughtiness, and it takes a punishing impression of our own inferiority to leave others feeling that they aren't good enough for us. -Alain De Botton; Status Anxiety.

Oh yeah. I'm a s.nob. For sure. I discrimiate perfectly against the bastards that discriminate against me. There goes that bitchy air-headed slut being a slut again. Take a look at yourself to see how pure your thoughts are, and don't lie and say the veneer of money, power and fame on another person does not attract you. High status is certainly attractive, and can be denoted by anything from physical beauty and a chic aesthetic, to editing a staple men's glossy. We're all suckers for it. That alobe, however, does not make it a bad thing. The problem lies when it becomes the sole purpose in an individual's motives.

But whatever it is, we will always be fools to flattery. Maybe that's one reason why I'm completely paranoid when it comes to the way I look, I must be grogeous. All the damn time. Trust me, there is a huge difference in the treatement I'm accorded when I look completely hot, and when I'm dressed slack. There is a difference in the treatment I get when people think I'm a smart successful career girl (which I have no problem pretending to me at parties and such) and when they find out I'm only a student.

xoxox


No comments: