Friday, June 24, 2005

Cold, Wet, but Not Hungry.

The weather has been pretty dreadful the last 2 days, but most of it was spent indoors, so it didn't really matter. We went up to Whiheki island, a little north from Auckland by ferry to visit an old friend of G's back from god-knows-when. I thought he was married to this absolutely gorgeous girl (they had a kid, but apparently having a kid doesn't mean you're married, have to be, or should be), turns out they're something G refers to as de-facto. I don't even think you have to sign any civil union bullshit. People here are very sensible, aren't they. The more I think about it, the more I think using children as a reason for your unhappiness in a marriage that's only there because children exist, is really kinda lame.

In my opinion as a female person, woman, girl, whatever, the marriage before baby thing is one of the biggest things in most conservative societies that come in the way of female emancipation.

Females were meant to have sex, lots of it, make babies and thereafter nurture them. Think about it, people and relationships are responsibilities. Marriage can help share the responsibility, but it can also increase it. If the relationship becomes a burden, not only do you now have to manage the kids, you’ve also got to manage unnecessary emotional drama.

I can’t understand women who choose to wait until they find the right one before having a child. Because when you do find the right one, it could just be too late, much too late (I cannot get Nicholas Cage from the Vampire’s Kiss out of my head!). Besides, who is the right one, and why should you even need him anyway. Oh it’s a scam I tell you, (not trying to do an Eve Ensler here, but when a woman has become such a powerful pop icon of rights for the modern female…) It’s something a male dominated society has been using for the last few centuries to make you believe you need Them. Because apparently, they need you. Women can make babies, men can’t. And in a way, I really believe, whether They knew it or not, the past few centuries of male supremacy has suppressed the female capacity to earn and feed herself, much less another dependant, to give us a false sense of need.

That we need Them.

That was a tad too feminist for me really, I love men, and there’s no reason to be pissed of at them because it wasn’t their fault several centuries ago their predecessors were a bunch of arrogant blokes. It’s just that I honestly don’t think marriage should come in the way of a anyone’s male or female’s free choice to have a child.

The couple we met yesterday clearly, consciously decided to have one, despite not being married. They may do it in a month, in a year, or perhaps never, but the great thing is, they didn’t let a ceremony come in the way of what they wanted to do. To put it simply, marriage and having a child should not be tied together. What if you wanted to have a child, but didn’t want to get married?

I was reading this comic about Women on the Edge some time ago, and there was this cartoon of all the stuff men could get away with that women didn’t. One panel showed this old lady looking at a single mom, thinking, ‘what an irresponsible slut’, and beside that square, was the same old lady looking at a single dad going, ‘how sweet, he’s trying to take responsibility’. I will simply not get it. Why is it that in so many cultures, it’s perfectly acceptable for men to screw around and cheat on their partners, and such a taboo when women do it?

Anyway, I was really fascinated by the couple we’d stayed over at last night’s. I suppose it’s all rather commonplace here and in Europe, and in many other places, but Asia still has some way to go. And you know what? It’s not a bad thing. The breaking down of the traditional family unit doesn’t equate to the breaking down of the family until itself. Kids by single mothers are not in the possibility of getting any less love then kids from nuclear families. It’s all up to the people that look after them. I know people that have with parents that have been trying to ‘fix the marriage’ for the last two decades of their lives, and it’s really no fun. They’re married, but so what.

I suppose the more we think about things, the more we realize a lot of what we grew up with is bullshit. If we’d all just stop trying to think someone else is living ‘wrongly’ then perhaps we’ll see that happiness can be found in so many more ways then one.

I have now memorized all my lines for the film tomorrow, the G-Spot looks like an absolute angel in bed –he’s been SO sweet- I’ll leave this cold computer and find affection elsewhere.

The media hype is dying down now, which is good, because I think it was starting to get ridiculous. If you think I will do anything to make a pointless statement like, ‘posting nude pictures of yourself online isn’t wrong’, you’re wrong. What’s the point in making statements like that anyway? Posting nude pictures of myself has given me publicity, which I like and which has in a way, made me better off –if for no more then the fact that the dear Mr. Martine called me up to tell me to hang in there-, but it’s not going to produce the same results for everyone. And if I took them down because I thought it would be better to (and I don’t regret the article I got by ST about me removing the pictures) then I did it out of the same reasons I do most things. Because it felt like the right thing to do then.

And that’s pretty much how everyone should live life, because really, there’s only that one moment you’ll experience it, ever. That moment of making a decision, and doing it. The clock ticks, and it’s gone. I believe very strongly in the human instinct for grasping at the right things at the right time. It’s only when we attempt to distort it with stupid cultural barriers (that make you feel that what you feel at that point in time is not right) like you need marriage before you have a baby… that things just don’t really work out as right as they could have been.

xoxox

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't personally put much stock in defined relationships or marriage as an institution because they are very rigidly defined structures imposed on what usually are very dynamic interactions between at the very least two people. In and of itself this is not a healthy situation in which to maintain a relationship - not counting the added strains of having gender role inequalities. Unfortunately a lot of the rigid dogma in marriage is derived from male dominated society which in the end basically shafts women - locking them into a submissive culture that fundamentally subjugates them to male imposed notions of propriety.

A rather visual aspect of this in the catholic church; women can only wear white at the their wedding if they are virgins. A sane persons reaction would be what the hell does it matter what color the bride wears; but its human nature to assume that the establishment of rules that restrict what can and cannot be done creates an elite group. So invariably while anyone can wear any other color; white is reserved for people who are "special". Its a very subtle manipulation and one that men have preferentially used to subvert female sexual freedoms. Its not necessary to agree with me on this point; but try justifying why men don't have a special "virgin-only" outfit for weddings?

I find it interesting however that while these behavior modifications where first created by men to control and degrade women into subservience; women are the main enforcers in the maintenance of these dogmatic notions. I'm not sure if its an extended form of cyclical abuse where a woman gets beaten down over the course of her life so she feels inclined to inflict her pain and cynicism on her children and those around her but this is exactly the way these gender roles are maintained. Growing up, when we'd walk down streets with hookers; it wasn't my father who called them whores and said they were worthless or should be ashamed of themselves - he was too busy staring - it was my mother; my aunts; even my sister after a while. In any system where the people are forcing themselves into submission the question has to be asked how much of the abuse was created by those set it up and how much was added by those maintaining it just because they could? I'm of the mindset that women are far more abuse to each other now in this regard then men originally where.

nausheen said...

The subject on kids without marriage really hits close to home. I've been talking about it alot lately. It all started when this girl who works with me asked whether I was married. Which I am. And then she continued, "My gosh, but you're so young. Only 20. I could never do that." She's 25.

What really annoyed me was the fact that she's 25 and has a 6 year old kid. I think raising a child entails a lot more responsibility than being married to somebody you love. Now, never mind that she's single and raising a kid. By all means, there are many single parents and they're doing it just fine. But i understand that she works long hours and loves to party. That doesn't give her much time to nurture does it?

Perhaps marriage before kids comes in the way of female emancipation. But it's certain indivuals that perpetuate this stigma. I believe that marriage is good training before having kids. That it's a smaller responsibility as opposed to raising little adults. That in the way you interact with your partner provides a chance to learn about your character. Patience, understanding and the like.

Well... that's my two cents worth. :)

Anonymous said...

nomatter wat... i still dun believe in pre-marital sex.... it shows tt the guy is juz in it for the sake of pleasure... eventhough i mite be a guy... but i will never take sides... i still wanna gibve the same warning to all girls out there... tt is to look after urself n be careful!!

Anonymous said...

Super
Phucking
Gross

http://xiaxue.chestertan.com/xiaxue/tits.gif

http://santianna.buzznet.com/user/?p=1&id=39812

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/116/940/1024/spg.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a147/paparazzincontroversary/spgugly.jpg

http://www.musecube.com/rayicevdo/88900/

Anonymous said...

Izzy, since you are so progressive and uninhibited...

I have been meaning to ask... Do you do dogs?

I have 2 helluva horny dogs who hump anything and everything that moves. Man, sometimes I have to slash water on them to keep them from humping each other! (I am sure you are familir with the sensation of cold splashes)

Sometimes, the darned dogs even lick their own shit.

Wait a minute... Are you into scat? You know, coprophilia? (OK for you other clueless MFs, it means shit-eating for sexual gratification) I am sure that you are familiar with the taste, Izzy.

It literally oozes from your mouth...

********************************