Thursday, February 04, 2010

Asleep in Life's Waiting Room.

We were looking through web pages that offered advice on the appropriate course of action one should take should one accidentally ingest lamp oil (as you do). The results were not promising. "Woman dies after drinking lamp oil", "Lamp oil intoxication fatal", "Near fatal ingestion of household lamp oil". He told me not to look at the result because it would only make me feel more ill than I already was, which would result in an incorrect diagnosis.

I told him I didn't know what I was feeling anymore, I just felt sick. It was probably the lamp oil, because some things take longer to hit. Thing is, if you want to see foreshadowing in the narrative that is your life, then the shadows are everywhere. But still, shadows can be pretty.  


I had a friend once who told me that the worst mistake that you can make is to think you are alive, when you're really asleep in life's waiting room. 

MGM and Joris threw a party to initiate J's (and also my) return to the dream state on the Spirit Roof. It was a good party. The people that mattered arrived, mellow and chilled out, and stayed in the right frame of mind. It was calm and (for me) had a peculiar other-worldly quality to it. The Spirit Roof usually does, but this time I felt I was even more out of myself observing the whole thing. The lamp light flickered through the leaves, the shadows danced, and people sat around talking in little groups.  About life, people, gestures: in other words, the greatest story ever told.

It was a good group. Everyone was mellow and chilled, there were no overbearing individuals, people just sat around having a good time.

I wished the night could have carried on, and on, but eventually dawn broke and it was time to go back to bed in life's waiting room........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, i run into your blog because i was surfing the web, looking for something about finnish people seen with "not-finnish eyes", just to try to get-in ths culture, nice post! I had a look and i think your blog is really cool! I'm an echange student in Helsinki, everything is quite new to me, and in order to get-in this finnish life i should improve my knowledge about it...but above all I should put this knowledge into practice and it takes me a lot of energy, i'm italian, it's hard for me, i mean, not have small talk, not move and shake my hands in the air when i'm talking, talking just when is needed...damn! i'm sorry for my english XD !

Isabella said...

Hi miwako! Yes, Finland can be rather intimadating on the social front, but you'll get used to it in a few weeks and you'll be loving it more than ever! You can develop a very deep bond with people in the silence....