Tuesday, February 02, 2010

When I Say Love


When I say "love," the sound comes out of my mouth and it hits the other person's ear, travels through this Byzantine conduit in their brain, you know, through their memories of love or lack of love, and they register what I'm saying and they say yes, they understand. But how do I know they understand? Because words are inert. They're just symbols. They're dead, you know? And so much of our experience is intangible. So much of what we perceive cannot be expressed. It's unspeakable. And yet, you know, when we communicate with one another, and we feel that we've connected, and we think that we're understood, I think we have a feeling of almost spiritual communion. And that feeling might be transient, but I think it's what we live for. Waking Life, chapter 2.

3 comments:

expat@large said...

I think I, you know, know what you are talking about. XXX

e.lee said...

hahah yesss from 1 of my favourite films

Isabella said...

I finally think I know what I'm talking about. But these symbols we call words they keep on changing their meaning as we go along....♥