Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Prescription Sex

I did a silly survey on Deviant Art today, and it asked me the name of a famous person I would wish to have lunch with, if I could. I would presume that when you had lunch with a famous person, you’d want to get to know things about him that were not already known, and with famous people, how much is there left to find out that he would tell you over lunch?

So I added in another question to the survey, it’s terribly clichéd, but a great deal more fun to give an answer to. You guessed it. One famous person you’d like to sleep with.

The primary consideration I had was, what sort of famous. The generic MTV marketed fame is a definite no-no. They get so much sex already, sleeping with such would be a perfectly pointless endeavor; you’d be just another lay. And anyway, as the Postmodern Courtesan puts it, Actors and media personalities in general are stupid. (I fear for presidents too often seen on television).

Sex should not be just sex, because when it is- as a particularly sexually licentious friend puts it, it’s masturbation with a warm body. (Or as the Boy has placed it; comparing a dollar hotdog to a tete a tete at the Claude Colliot.)

There are some people worth getting to know on that intimate level. People you adore from which you wish to discover certain thoughts that are worth the trouble and things of much importance, like what has affected and influenced and made him produce all the lovely stuff you admire.

People really are like cities (and cities like people), with their own brand of vibrancy and laws and sets of cultures. There are some cities you’d like to discover and soak in, learn something from the experience and leave, and some you want to be in forever. And lunch can only be a fling, like bypassing a town, only to stop for fish and chips at the local diner. It’s simply not enough if you really wish to unravel anything.

Of course it would not be very ideal if the person you most admire you had to search up on Dead or Alive first. Which rises the question of whether sex is really necessary to get to ‘that’ level. On a very intellectual basis, no. I know some people very well, and I’ve never slept with them. But getting to know someone isn’t always about logic, is about feeling what he did when a particular thought formed, or how he felt when that bit of inspiration struck.

And I don’t ever think there’s a feeling quite so wonderful as lying in bed naked, with your fingertips touching, and asking silly questions like why is cotton candy always cheerful.

Sure there have been shitty choices for partners in the past, but of late, I think I shall turn more discerning. It’s just a personal choice to want to grow up and treat sex differently. Personally, I think it’s a perfectly healthy attitude to accord to sex. Where you sleep with people that are worth it, as opposed to doing so because you can do it (and that it feels good, which is part of the point but doesn’t mean it makes it any less pointless), it can affect you profoundly, good or bad, I wouldn’t know. But that’s hardly the issue, if sex really is about finding out more about yourself.

But perhaps I’m simply philosophizing sex to get away with promiscuous behaviour. I could be doing that, but don’t suppose all I’ve just said are whole lies either.

And pertaining to my answer on one person I’d like to sleep with, today it’s Neil Gaiman.

xoxox

No comments: