Friday, July 23, 2004

All Things French

<>The urge to make a trip down to the mall was too great to ignore today. It’s my shopping mall of choice because I’m such a geek that I must browse through the bookstore and the gallery at least once weekly. The other reason was of course the sudden need to read risqué, provocative literature and to flirt with the guy that runs the gallery.

So! The SPG’s spicy booklist for the week is as follows.

Blue of Noon.
Mr. S’s brother recommended me; Gorges Bataille. An author that ‘intellectualizes the erotic, just as he eroticizes the intellect’. I was trying to find what was supposedly his most famous work, the Story of Eye (Like the Story of O?), but apparently they had every other book of his except that one.

The Dictionnaire Philosophique.
By Voltaire. (Of which one particular aficionado is my favourite Suicidegirl of similar name.) It proved surprisingly easy to read, despite it’s Penguin Classics cover –which usually makes the association in my head with troublesome texts. I laughed out loud several times while reading the essay on circumcision.

Justine.
Not the one by the Marquis De Sade, but by Lawrence Durell.

Apparently as I was extracting Sade’s The Misfortunes of Virtue and Other Early Tales from it’s peanut butter position between two novels by Saint-Exupéry, some guy –possibly Irish. Concluded on the basis that he pronounces Nietzsche as Nich-Ghe and has, what I believe, to be a Guinness belly-

He said to me, ‘If you like De Sade, you must read Justine, but the one by Durell. It’s a modernized version of De Sade’s.”
Me, “To tell the truth, I’ve never read any. of Sade’s writings. But I’ve been told to start with this one.”
At this point, it would be good to note the mode of dress I was in. Skimpy black top, tiny checquered skirt, fishnet stockings and little goth-girl painted eyes. I thought I looked pretty much like a whore, but didn’t think I did until I was a little too far away from home to go back and change.

Him, “You do know who Sade is don’t you, he was who sadism was coined after…”
Me, “Without doubt. Love literature that rationalizes deviant behaviour.”
Him, “For a young girl, your taste in literature sure is racy.”
Me, “I’ve just been trying to abdicate responsibility of my behaviour of late to human nature. Thought the marquis would help with that.”
Him, “ If you need to rationalize your behaviour, then it must be bad, and rationalizing won’t help anything.”
-Pause. Trying to get my thoughts stright. I've thought about this countless times.-
Me,“People try to rationalize their behaviour all the time. Their intents and the outcomes and whatever. I believe it’s human habit. If we were all born with sin, and sin throughout our lives, then we (,since it is inbuilt in us to abdicate responsibility for our transgressions,) must all be reasoning with ourselves all. the time. So it’s not just me.”

Me, “I’m just a silly girl trying to be a paradox. It’s not the right word, I think, but I can’t come up with any other. It’s the ideal of an academic gone wild that I’m trying to exude. Very popular image these days.”

I thought the conversation was rather queer really. All the hinting to things that were terribly personal -if I was choosing literature he'd read before, he'd know the sins I was trying to relinquish responsibility from-)

***

Met the Girlfriend after awhile. Sighted Mark Zee, the guy who got dumped on the follow up of Singapore’s The Bachelorette, by a girl from my alma matter who is now the poster child for FHM, who also, according to my girlfriend, speaks quite repugnant English. (But I don’t watch non-paid channels, so I wouldn’t know.)

His face looks rather disproportionate. Tall, hunky, but terribly plain looking. And obviously not attractive in the least to my refined tastes in men.

***

The gallery was hosting a private showcase and launch of new exhibits today which I wasn’t dressed nicely enough to crash. So objective number 2 for going down to town was not accomplished.

It’s taking forever.

xoxox

No comments: